Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Refreshing VC Perspective

In one of my initial blog posts, I expressed concern over the current financing environment for start-up software companies; I said that there is a disconnect between the current funding needs of most start-ups and the VC model. I just read a refreshing perspective from Charles Moldow, a general partner at Foundation Capital. He summarizes his perspective with the following:
To sum up, the point I’m making is pretty basic. When you’re looking to fund your young company, definitely consider venture capital, but also be aware that for your particular situation it may make more sense to explore alternatives to venture money, like angel investors or bootstrapping, with help from family and friends. We like to keep our focus on building successful, long-term companies of a certain scale. Not many mice ever grow up to become antelopes.
I couldn't agree more.

No comments: